Shutdown of 3G Networks in the USA
We advise that major mobile carriers across the USA have shut down their 3G networks to pave the way for their final transition to 4G LTE and 5G technologies. This change means that older smartphones and other devices which utilize 3G technology will no longer work while roaming in the USA. The phase out occurred as per the following schedule:
|AT & T||February 22, 2022|
|T-Mobile||July 1, 2022|
On the respective dates, all 3G devices ceased working on the above networks in the USA, and only customers using 4G LTE/5G devices will be able to utilize roaming data services.
Effective July 1, 2022, you will no longer be able to send and receive SMS, nor make and receive non-data voice calls while roaming. You will still be able to use 4G LTE/5G devices for roaming data services to stream and browse. Until further notice, you will only be able to make and receive calls using mobile apps such as WhatsApp, Facebook, Microsoft Teams etc.
It is important to note, that while you will be able to utilize roaming data services and Wi-Fi on 4G LTE/5G devices in the USA, you will not be able to make traditional voice calls until the VoLTE (Voice Over LTE) capability is enabled on our network. This enhancement is currently in progress and we will update this advisory as soon as it is available.
To ensure that you stay connected while travelling in the USA after the shutdown of these 3G networks, we recommend the following:
- Upgrade your device from 3G to 4G LTE/5G that supports VoLTE
- Upgrade your SIM card to LTE
- Download mobile apps such as WhatsApp, Facebook, Microsoft Teams etc. and update your contacts within these apps before departing
- Ensure that you subscribe to a suitable roaming package before departing
- When the VoLTE functionality is available on our network:
- - Ensure that the VoLTE feature on your device is activated and updated with the latest version
- - Ensure that VoLTE is switched on prior to travelling
We will continue to work with our roaming partners to ensure that the impact to our traveling customers is minimized.
Team Flow Jamaica